RE: Ideas for conference presentation?

Subject: RE: Ideas for conference presentation?
From: "Vest,Greg" <GVEST -at- cerner -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 07:10:27 -0600

We hold the same type of conference and the past few years have presented on
what is happening in the world of documentation at our company. We use it
as a springboard to show how our documentation is evolving. Just as the
latest and greatest applications are being demo'd to clients, we demo'd the
move from straight winhelp into the winhelp2000 format. We also showed new
documentation we were creating and how it would be useful for the clients.
Our next conference will probably unveil the look of HTML-based online
documentation for them. These just sound like the typical evolutionary
process in the documentation world, but for users who know very little about
documentation, you can "wow" them and generate interest with a new
look-and-feel. It's all about getting them to use the resources we provide,
you know.

We also take advantage of the chance to get client feedback on our
documentation through interviewing and surveys. We poll to find out what
best meets their needs and what they want out of documentation (i.e. can it
be hosted on the web, do you want it on a network server, do you want users
to have it available locally for use when not connected to the network, is
printing your top priority, what content do you find to be lacking, and so
on) It's not often we actually have such easy access to the users so we try
to get everything we can out of the chance.

We all know that many users tend to not refer to the online documentation if
they have struggled with finding information in the past. This is a
fantastic opportunity to bring that documentation back to the forefront and
stress how it is changing so users should revisit it.

Just what we do. Your mileage may vary.

Greg Vest
SurgiNet Documentation Developer
Cerner Corporation

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This message and any included attachments
are from Cerner Corporation and are intended
only for the addressee. The information
contained in this message is confidential and
may constitute inside or non-public information
under international, federal, or state
securities laws. Unauthorized forwarding,
printing, copying, distribution, or use of such
information is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you are not the addressee, please
promptly delete this message and notify the
sender of the delivery error by e-mail or you
may call Cerner's corporate offices in Kansas
City, Missouri, U.S.A at (+1) (816)221-1024.

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com