Re: "Platform" vs. "OS"?

Subject: Re: "Platform" vs. "OS"?
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 22:08:34 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "DaveC" <peninsula -at- covad -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Sent: February 13, 2003 09:21 PM
Subject: "Platform" vs. "OS"?

> Hi, All,
> The client's docs refer to Windows and Macintosh as platforms. In
> addition to straightening out their belief that Windows is a
> computer, what's your understanding regarding usage of these terms?
> My experience is that a platform refers to Macintosh, Dell, or
> Toshiba, whereas OS refers to UNIX, Windows, or Mac OS.

My understanding is as follows:

>From the Microsoft Press Computer Dictionary, Third Edition:

n. 1. The foundation technology of a computer system. Because computers are
layered devices composed of a chip-level hardware layer, a firmware and
operating-system layer, and an applications program layer, the bottommost
layer of a machine is often called a platform. 2. In everyday usage, the type
of computer or operating system being used.

Bonnie Granat
Comprehensive Editing and Writing Services

single-source layouts, and more!
Order online today at

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com

"Platform" vs. "OS"?: From: DaveC