Re: Modify/Edit/Save button name

Subject: Re: Modify/Edit/Save button name
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 20:59:04 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob Partridge" <rob -at- holly -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Sent: February 11, 2003 08:13 PM
Subject: Modify/Edit/Save button name

> I'm in the process of reviewing one of our GUIs. There are several web page
> forms that have been designed by different people, with different ideas
> about what a button should be called. We have many screens which feature
> lines of entries from a database, like an address book, which can be
> modified by the user. At the end of each line is a button called, variously,
> Save, Modify or Edit. The buttons have the same function - The user modifies
> text in fields on that line, and clicks the respective button to save the
> changes. For example:
>
> Name: Jane doe Phone: 34534534 Fax: 23233232 Email: jane -at- doe -dot- com
> <Modify>
> Name: John doe Phone: 34534534 Fax: 23233232 Email: john -at- doe -dot- com
> <Modify>
> Name: Peter doe Phone: 34534534 Fax: 23233232 Email: peter -at- doe -dot- com
> <Modify>

If users have already been told they can modify entries, and then they do so,
it seems that what would be logical to them would be to make modifications and
save them.

The action IS saving, so the button should be Save.

Bonnie Granat
Comprehensive Editing and Writing Services
http://www.editors-writers.info

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com