Screenshots on Palm PDAs: summary

Subject: Screenshots on Palm PDAs: summary
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 08:45:47 -0500

Yesterday, I asked for advice on software for capturing screenshots on Palm
OS PDAs. The replies broke down into two main categories of solution:

1. Run a Palm emulator on your PC, then use your standard PC screenshot
software. (In my case, that's SnagIt.)

You can find the Palm emulator at
www.palmos.com/dev/tools/emulator/index.html along with instructions on how
to download the ROM images required for it to run. The advantage of this
approach is that you don't even need a PDA to do the screen caps and can
work directly in your favorite PC software. The disadvantage is twofold: the
emulator doesn't work well for everyone (on every computer), and our company
follows the "lock down the PC" policy so we can't do our own installations.
Rather not go there...

2. Run software that works directly on the Palm. Advantages include the
ability to work directly in the Palm environment and perhaps capture some
screens you couldn't get in the emulator (which won't necessarily run all
Palm software). Disadvantages are that some of these products are OS hacks,
and thus may be less stable than straightforward applications.

The first product in this category was ScreenShot Hack
(http://linkesoft.com/screenshot/), which got quite good reviews. ScrShot
(http://www.fatal-error.com/scrshot.html), though unreviewed by
http://www.foxpop.ndirect.co.uk/awards/2002ppc_01.htm for several more
products. For a HiRes device with PalmOS 4.x, try LaunchPlug
(http://www.launchplug.com/HRCaptDA.html).

Thanks to Bruce Byfield, Jennifer Carey, Rob Domaschuk, Matthew Donovan,
Eric Dunn, Zvi Gilbert, Cassandra Petrachenko, Gunther Schmidt, and anyone
else whose message is still in transit or got devoured in transit.

580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada

"Work is of two kinds: first, altering the position of matter at or near the
earth's surface relative to other matter; second, telling other people to do
so. The first is unpleasant and ill-paid; the second is pleasant and highly
paid."--Bertrand Russell

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com