Re: TOOLS: quiet keyboard

Subject: Re: TOOLS: quiet keyboard
From: "Gary S. Callison" <huey -at- interaccess -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 14:34:33 -0600 (CST)

kevinmcl -at- magma -dot- ca (Kevin McLauchlan) wrote:
> Hey, all you folk who do a lot of typing...
> Has anyone got a quiet keyboard that has a good feel for touchtyping,
> but that doesn't make rattly noises with every keypress? What is it?
> Where did you get it? How much?
> I'm talking about a full-sized 101(+) key unit, with separate keypad, etc.

The keyboard I do most of my hard typing on is one of the old IBM clicky
keyboards that's probably heavy enough to use as a weapon - and yes, I
have drawn complaints from others in the cube farm that I'm "typing too
loud", so this is probably not a good option for you.

Now, the computer at home, in the room next to the bedroom and also having
'noise issues', has a nice, relatively quiet keyboard that originally
shipped with an HP desktop. The keys travel almost as responsively as the
buckling-spring keyboard at work, but without that 'thunk' noise. That
keyboard was chosen for the simple reason that it was nearest the top of
the box of keyboards when I built that computer, but I probably have two
or three more that are similar to that. These are cheap US$5-$10
keyboards that you could probably find at any computer junk show.

Also: (not what you asked, but worth mentioning) anyone who does a lot of
work on a laptop, but hates the laptop keyboard, small-footprint keyboards
with full-sized keys are available in form-factors that will fit in a
laptop bag, for about US$20-25.
<http://www.crystalvisions.com/compactkeyboards.htm> has an example of
what one of these looks like.

--