RE: Why they don't ask for candidates by technology skills.

Subject: RE: Why they don't ask for candidates by technology skills.
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 11:50:40 -0500

You need to balance it against what you see in the portfolio.

If there is an entry on the resume from a short gig, ask to see something
that was created at that gig and so this for a few of them.

Go down the resume and for each entry, ask to see something created and
finished. Granted, s/he may not have something for each of them, but that
should be the exception rather than the rule.

As far as knowing if the deliverable is theirs and not done by someone else,
I know I can pick certain characteristics that are common across multiple
deliverables, sort of like a fingerprint, and when there is a variance, ask
why the writer chose one way versus the other.

For instance, I have a specific way of placing images in a
deliverable...I'll almost never wrap text around an image, I make it margin
to margin, and I always place the caption for figure and tables on top, even
though I know the rule is usually table caption on top and figure caption on
bottom. I also always use Arial, Times Roman, and Courier, except for one
gig that used a different body font, and I can explain why.

If you are a writer, you can make your odds better than 50/50, and that's
all you can hope for.

John Posada