Re: Providing Samples (Was RE: Why they don't ask for candidates by technology skills.)

Subject: Re: Providing Samples (Was RE: Why they don't ask for candidates by technology skills.)
From: Beth Agnew <Beth -dot- Agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 00:16:13 -0500

Bruce Byfield wrote:

... we spent most of the interview exchanging cute stories about our conures and his cockatiel. The interviewer asked so few questions about my professional qualifications that it was obvious that our mutual interest was a major part of his decision to hire me.

During that mutually interesting conversation, you probably revealed a great many things that were important to the interviewer. You probably spoke in a relaxed and animated fashion, demonstrated some in-depth knowledge of the birds, showed some passion for the subject, and developed a rapport with someone in a decision-making capacity at that company. These are not trivial things. The interviewer may have seen you as a good fit to the team, and as long as your professional qualifications were acceptable, that's a good enough reason to hire.
--Beth

--
Beth Agnew
Professor, Technical Communication