Tip of the week

Subject: Tip of the week
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 11:30:56 -0500

I've been interviewing developers, scheduling them 2-3 a day in 30 minute
increments. The discussions have been to document the business logic for
each of the processes that they are involved with.

I have about 7 developers involved with this, so I'm getting the range of
reaction...from those who are behind the effort, to those who are not.

Last week, I met with one for the first time. He definitely was not behind
it.

So...a couple of days ago, after he'd left for the day, I scanned his cube
to see what he was interested in and on the wall was a large poster from the
animation movie Monsters, Inc.

OK, he probably likes animation movies. When we sat down this morning for
our second meeting. I started off the meeting with the following comment:

"Alan...did you ever see the movie Shrek? (eyes got a little wide) As I'm
documenting this system, I keep thinking of the line in the movie 'Ogres are
like onions'. That's what I'm starting to think of this system...that it's
an onion."
You'd have thought he was instantly replaced by his talkative clone brother!
45 minutes later, he says "Listen, I gotta get back to something...when can
we meet again?"

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com
NY: 212-414-6656
Dayton: 732-438-3372

LAST CHANCE for this steal of a deal! Purchase RoboHelp X3 by February 28
and receive $100 mail-in rebate and FREE WebHelp Merge Module ($339 value)!
RoboHelp, the Industry Standard in Help Authoring, has won over 55 industry
awards. For more information please visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2.

"RoboHelp X3 is simply remarkable." - George Bell, Techno-Vision Systems

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com