Re: Poll?

Subject: Re: Poll?
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 13:08:40 -0500

Suzette,

Do you walk to work, or do you carry your lunch? Do you prefer scrambled eggs or a concert?

I'm only trying to illustrate the notion that there is such a thing as a silly question, and your question qualifies as one. Let me explain.

The reason there are multiple graphic formats is not that different developers want to compete with each other for your vote. The reason there are multiple formats is that different applications require different formats. Images such as photographs of natural subjects (people, landscapes, etc.) work better as JPEGs than as GIFs or PNGs. Images that consist of geometric shapes with straight edges and flat colors work better as GIFs than as JPEGs. Diagrams with text, diagonal lines, curves, and gradient fills work better as EPS than as any raster format. By the same token, the output medium also has to influence the choice. If you are printing on an offset press, depending on the software you are using to prepare your graphics, you might do better to use TIFF than JPEG for photos. But if you are preparing the same image for the Web, TIFF is not an option.

So there is not one best format, and personal preference has little to do with choosing the right format for the job at hand.

A poll would be an exercise in existential silliness.

Dick

"Suzette" <suzette -dot- leeming -at- sympatico -dot- ca> wrote:

> I would love to see a poll about the graphic formats preferred by users in
>their documentation. I primarily use GIF format (although I used PNG in one
>project).

>Would it be possible to have a poll?

LAST CHANCE for this steal of a deal! Purchase RoboHelp X3 by February 28
and receive $100 mail-in rebate and FREE WebHelp Merge Module ($339 value)!
RoboHelp, the Industry Standard in Help Authoring, has won over 55 industry
awards. For more information please visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2.

"RoboHelp X3 is simply remarkable." - George Bell, Techno-Vision Systems

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com