RE: Subject Matter Expertise-YES!

Subject: RE: Subject Matter Expertise-YES!
From: "Beth Agnew" <Beth -dot- Agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 11:36:32 -0800

This ignores the majority of technical writers currently employed in the
profession. Our skills as communicators lie not in the subject matter
expertise we may have, but in our ability to rapidly learn what we need to
know about ANY subject, and recompose that information into something that
the audience can understand.

Hiring you to write on fluid dynamics would not be a "dumb thing" at all but
a smart move on the part of an employer who recognizes that you have the
ability to analyze something new, intelligently process that information in
your mind, determine the needs of the audience, and competently communicate
that information to that audience. Please don't sell yourself so short!

People without those cognitive skills are indeed relegated to being
formatters rather than writers.

If we limit our thinking to areas in which we have already acquired
expertise, we are drastically limiting our job prospects and our
opportunities for progression this career. Maybe that is why some of us have
to resort to taking jobs as system administrators and desktop publishers.
--Beth