Re: Subject Matter Expertise-YES!

Subject: Re: Subject Matter Expertise-YES!
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 09:39:17 -0800

kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com wrote:

And to find such extreme views, just scroll through the last couple days
of posts. One poster in particular (whom I happen to admire) consistently
seems quite determined that you should acquire highly specific expertise
first, then look for a gig, a view with which I disagree. But I am
genuinely curious as to what he does when he gets thrown a curve ball -
hence my post.

For me, Mike Stockman provided the definitive answer: if you're not an expert in a field, but need a job, you scramble as fast as you can to become as much of an expert as you can. Initially, you may have to rely on SMEs, but you need to shorten that period as much as possible.

There's nothing wrong with going into a job ignorant. What's wrong is not making every reasonable effort to remove your ignorance.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"A curse on the coppers, the judges, the screws,
Who torture the innocent and wrongly accused,
For the price of promotion a judgement to sell,
May the judged be their judges when they rot down in hell."
- The Pogues, "Birmingham Six"

LAST CHANCE for this steal of a deal! Purchase RoboHelp X3 by February 28
and receive $100 mail-in rebate and FREE WebHelp Merge Module ($339 value)!
RoboHelp, the Industry Standard in Help Authoring, has won over 55 industry
awards. For more information please visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2.

"RoboHelp X3 is simply remarkable." - George Bell, Techno-Vision Systems

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com