Meta-Topic On Discussions (delete as appropriate)

Subject: Meta-Topic On Discussions (delete as appropriate)
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 10:43:28 -0800 (PST)

I've been following the various discussions about how much of what kind of knowledge
and/or education a Technical Writer needs to be
effective/efficient/employable/good/kind/virtuous/etc. And this browsing leads me to
ask a serious question. (Well, I'm serious; I don't know about the rest of you.)

Has anyone engaged in these discussions ever had their minds changed by someone
else's arguments/evidence/presentation? Have you entered into one of these
discussions saying, "I believe X is true," and come out at the end of the thread
saying, "Now I see the error of my ways. Now I believe either X is not true or Y is
better than (or as good as) X."

If your mind was changed, did you communicate that to the list, or did you keep it
to yourself to spare yourself the humiliation of acknowledging the error of your
ways?

You see, while the discussions of the week were going on, I have been engaged in
dialogs of a different sort altogether, and what I'm noticing is that once people
"know" what is right or what truth is or how something should be or be done, there
is only debate and the regurgitation of evidence to bolster one's position and/or
denigrate the opposing position. In other words, dialog becomes a debate, the object
of which is to score points.

Finally, is that really worthwhile?

Have a nice weekend,

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com
http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html Last Updated 02/26/2003
--God save The United States of America--

http://taxes.yahoo.com/

LAST CHANCE for this steal of a deal! Purchase RoboHelp X3 by February 28
and receive $100 mail-in rebate and FREE WebHelp Merge Module ($339 value)!
RoboHelp, the Industry Standard in Help Authoring, has won over 55 industry
awards. For more information please visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2.

"RoboHelp X3 is simply remarkable." - George Bell, Techno-Vision Systems

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com