Re: Gender neutral - any new developments in your neck of the woods?

Subject: Re: Gender neutral - any new developments in your neck of the woods?
From: Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 18:05:30 +0100

I guess my real question is whether or not the usage above has
gained any momentum in the past year or so or is this still a sticky
subject that has several solutions?

As has been mentioned several times, you can simply circumvent a lot of the he/she problems by addressing the user directly - "The first time, you access your account..." This has the added benefit of being less ambiguous.

In cases where this is not possible (because the reference is indeed to a third person), we usually employ one of three solutions:

- We rephrase - "When it is accessed for the first time, an account...". This may involve the passive voice, which makes it a somewhat problematic solution.

- We use the plural - "When users access their accounts for the first time...".

- We use "he or she" - "When a user accesses an account for the first time, he or she..." While this phrase is distracting when it occurs often, it is OK if used sparingly. (I once checked a typical manual of ours and found that we used "he or she" or "his or her" about once every fifty pages. And of course never twice in the same sentence.)

Regards
Jan Henning

Jan Henning
ROSEMANN & LAURIDSEN GMBH
Am Schlossberg 14, D-82547 Eurasburg, Germany

Phone: +49 700 0200 0700, Fax: +49 8179 9307-12
E-Mail: henning -at- r-l -dot- de, Web: www.r-l.de

Order RoboHelp Office X3 by March 14 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
plus FREE WebHelp Merge Module and FREE iMarkup Software, for a
total giveaway value of $439! Order today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com