RE: Gender neutral - any new developments in your neck of the woods?

Subject: RE: Gender neutral - any new developments in your neck of the woods?
From: "Anita Legsdin" <anita -dot- legsdin -at- watchmark -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 10:35:37 -0800

for someone of unknown gender," I reply that some of the same writers
who subscribe to that principle write articles that contain sentences
like "When the nurse <insert action here>, she..." or "When the teacher
<insert action here>, she...".

I always try to avoid using mismatched subject and pronoun. What I've
been doing (as others have already described):

* Change "when a user" to "when users" and use "they." (I don't like
this solution either, simply because I react very badly to the word
"user.")
* Use "you" whenever possible.
* Use the passive voice. This is usually only possible in API
documentation, where programmers are used to it.
* Rewrite, rewrite, rewrite. I like Diane Evan's solution best--just say
"NO" to pronouns!
* If you absolutely can't avoid the personal pronoun, go ahead and use
"he or she," but restrict it to once every 50 pages or so. I don't think
I've done this more than 5 times in the last 10 years.

There's a book on this subject, but right now I can't remember the
title, and don't have time to Google for it.

On an unrelated side issue, I'd LOVE to see the final, eternal
disappearance of Miss/Mrs, and a universal acceptance of Ms. There are
still text boxes that force women to choose from "Miss/Mrs./Ms", which
is totally ridiculous!

Anita Legsdin
Sr. Technical Writer
WatchMark
(425) 564-8135

Mistrust begets mistrust
Trust begets accomplishment
--Tao Te Ching

Order RoboHelp Office X3 by March 14 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
plus FREE WebHelp Merge Module and FREE iMarkup Software, for a
total giveaway value of $439! Order today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com