Re: technical skills vs. writing skills (again)

Subject: Re: technical skills vs. writing skills (again)
From: "Edwin Wurster" <eawurster -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 07:50:23 -0500

Hi Bruce.

You wrote:

| At any rate, before the interview, the company sent a brief writing test
| to those who were short-listed. The test was based on the company's
| product line, which is very technical, and likely beyond the knowledge
| of anyone who hasn't worked in the company's particular area of
| high-tech. In giving my response, I noted at the top that I could edit
| the material provided, make design suggestions, and indicate how I would
| go about learning about the subject matter - but that I couldn't do any
| actual technical writing because I didn't know enough.

Your response on the test did get their attention.

I think I would have gone on and used a related subject area that I knew about, and demonstrated that I could apply some of the process to the new area, but not all.

Your brand identity is "the writer who knows what he doesn't know."

On the other hand, companies seem to be looking for experience in specific areas. On that requirement you did not do well. All is not lost, though. Getting the job can turn on an unknown.

Ed

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com