Re: Tech Documentation info to Developers and QA

Subject: Re: Tech Documentation info to Developers and QA
From: Richard Lippincott <richard -dot- lippincott -at- AE -dot- GE -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 11:39:33 -0500

"Pooja Malhotra" <pooja -dot- malhotra -at- induslogic -dot- com> writes:

>I am the only technical writer in our organization and facing some
>problems when dealing with developers and QA team. They have their
>predefined ways of doing things and so do not give ear to what I say
>concerning documentation.

I ran into a similar situation at a company where I worked a few years back.
Ultimately the only solution was to do a formal proposal to management that
they expand the QA department by one head, and that new position was tasked
-only- to do documentation QA. They agreed, and in fact the person in that
slot turned out to be me.

The advantages of this were:

* Rather than seeing the doc reviews as a nuisance secondary function that
could get in the way of the primary function of checking software, I saw the
doc QA as my primary job.
* All the other QA people didn't have to bother with checking docs, they'd
just send it to me.
* The writers didn't have to play "find the left handed smoke shifter"
trying to figure out who was reviewing the docs, it was always me.
* The writers didn't get back vague comments like "This is all wrong, fix
it," I gave them specific details on how to fix the docs.

Although right now this isn't a great time for suggesting an increase to the
head count, this is a solution you might want to keep tucked away for the
future when things get better. (And they will.)

--Rick Lippincott
Lockheed Martin
Saugus, MA

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com