RE: The odds of finding work through job ads

Subject: RE: The odds of finding work through job ads
From: "Rob Writer" <piercedroo -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 14:12:48 -0600

A mixed bag for me too. After 6 years as a technical writer, here?s how I landed each gig:

1st Job?networking (hired by a friend whom I went to college with)
2nd Job?referred by another friend who left company 1 for this company.
3rd Job?contract gig, recruiter mined my resume from Monster and called me.
4th Job?job ad?I didn?t know it at the time, but the HR rep was one of my best friend?s new girlfriend. I had just met her the week before when we all spent the weekend together camping. So, when she saw my resume on her desk, she thought the name sounded familiar, and called to find out if I was the same guy. I interviewed later that week and got the gig. Sort of networking I guess.
5th Job?Networking. Friend whom I referred for a job as a recruiter at company 2 was now working here, and hired my within a week of being laid off at job 4.
6th Job?recruiter mined my resume off of the web and called me
7th and current Job? recruiter mined my resume off of the web and called me

So, it looks like nearly half of my leads came from recruiters who found me on the web (when looking for work, I keep my resume posted on monster and flipdog).

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com