Re: Marcom as TechCom

Subject: Re: Marcom as TechCom
From: Kirsten Zerbinis <salmonzerbinis -at- rogers -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 10:33:14 -0500

I'd like to jump into the conversation here and float my own idea for the combination tech and marcomm. My company makes (stop me if you've heard this before) Warehouse Management Software, and the biggest problem we have with our users is not, at its root, that they forget how to use the features, or even that they don't know why they want these features. Our software is designed assuming that they will manage their warehouse in a particular way. Some of them do not manage like we assume. We have done some considerable adding of features to satisfy them, but even when we add the features that we designed for specific customers, those specific customers do not always use them.

It's frustrating for the designers, to say the least, and frustrating for the accountants, that we have invested so much developer/designer time in something that did not improve customer happiness.

My idea is to (what else?) solve the problem with documentation, since we have at this point failed at the user-analysis stage of software design. I envision a big book that contains all the "how to use feature X" documentation, but that is basically an instruction manual on the Company X method of warehouse management.

Has anyone tried this sort of combination marcomm, tech documentation, and process documentation? Does the Rational company have this sort of book? (As I understand the Rational stuff, they sell both a method and the software to manage the method, right?)

Just wondering. I mean, my company's going under before I'll *ever* get the chance to do this. But maybe my next company can use the idea.

Kirsten Zerbinis
-struggling to stay motivated when she's writing product literature for a company whose last sales guy quit in disgust

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com