Re: Marcom as TechCom

Subject: Re: Marcom as TechCom
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 17:51:26 -0800

Anita Legsdin wrote:

Maybe I didn't make myself clear--the tasks we write about aren't
intrinsic in our software. For example, our customers
(telecommunications network operators) need to be able to produce Locked
and Disabled Object reports. We provide procedures in our user manuals
that describe how to use our software in order to produce a Locked and
Disabled Object report.
To me, at least, whether the tasks are intrinsic or extrinsic to the software doesn't matter. In the example that you give, I would want to put at least a sentence or two about why you would want to generate the report in the first place. True, some users don't care, and just want to know how to do what they're told. However, in my experience, most users will remember the task better if they have some idea of why they want to use it.

I'd draw an analogy to the way that many teachers present algebra in high school. Too often, the uses of an equation aren't mentioned. As a result, many students simply muddle through algebra, and forget it by next September. However, when a teacher explains the uses, student interest and retention is much higher.

Besides, for me, learning why a task is done is part of the process of learning and writing about it. Having gone to that effort, I want to use the knowledge :-)

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Here's to you, whoever you may be,
You who held me up while I was sinking in the sea,
If you were in Kiltartan, and me in Katmandu,
I still would not forget you, and I'd do the same for you."
- OysterBand

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com