Re: Maximum File Size For Word Documents

Subject: Re: Maximum File Size For Word Documents
From: "Robert E. Simanski" <rsimanski -at- yourpubpro -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 23:55:11 -0500

At 09:19 AM 3/26/2003 -0800, dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com wrote:

A and D: These are obviously HUGE advantages and quite legitimate justifications for selecting Word over some other tool.

Even if the other tool is better suited to the job?

B: If a company needs the hardware and needs Word for hundreds of tasks for which it is perfectly suited, then it IS free to the tech writers who might prefer something else.

They have to pay for a license for every user, whether it be a secretary or a tech writer.

I know, you'll argue that they lose time using the wrong tool; but in many (if not most) cases, that represents far less money than the cost of purchasing licenses and training for a more expensive and more complicated tool.

I can't begin to tally up the countless hours that I have lost because of the flaws in Word. I have often had to do the same work over two and three times because of flaws in the design of the program. I can think of many instances where I could have cut my time by at least 25 percent if I had been able to use the right tool for the job.

A typical proposal project for me takes between 100 and 150 hours of my time using Word. If I could cut that time by 25 percent, I would save between 25 and 37.5 hours. Assuming that I were a staff employee making $30 per hour, that would save the company between $750 and $1175 on just one proposal. If I were a freelancer charging $60 per hour, I could save the client between $1500 and $2250 per proposal.

Please don't tell me that this represents far less money that the cost of licenses and training for the proper tool.

C: If you're in one of the few situations in which this is this is the case, do a better job of making your case for a different tool. I've never had a manager deny me a purchase when I demonstrated a genuine need.

That's assuming that you have a competent manager who has some clue when it comes to the work that you do. But in many organizations, the hardware and software buying decisions are made by people who have no idea about the needs of technical writers and graphics people.

Robert E. Simanski, Owner, Business Pro Services
Publications * Web sites * Proposals * Computer Support
751 South Sugarland Run Drive, Sterling, VA 20164-1328
Voice: 703-404-8665 Fax/Data: 703-404-8156
rsimanski -at- yourpubpro -dot- com * www.businessproservices.com

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com