Re: Maximum File Size For Word Documents

Subject: Re: Maximum File Size For Word Documents
From: "Robert E. Simanski" <rsimanski -at- yourpubpro -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 23:37:23 -0500

At 08:29 AM 3/26/2003 -0800, Gene Kim-Eng wrote:

Do you know any software that *doesn't* do these things?

I sure do. It's Ami Pro 3.1, the last version before it was replaced by Word Pro. I first started using Ami Pro when it was at version 1.2. I tested it first by doing everything that I could think of to break the program, including things that would crash Ventura Publisher every time. I gave up trying because I couldn't do it.

In the mid-1990s, I was using Ami Pro, running under Windows 95, to do two quarterly scholarly journals. These journals were loaded with tables, photos, and equations. The file size was minimal because I always created links to the graphics instead of embedding them in the Ami Pro file itself. One night, as I was waiting for the final pages to print out, I tried to remember the last time that the program had crashed. As best as I could remember, it had been at least a year, when we were still using Windows 3.11.

Shortly after that, Ami Pro actually crashed, but that was because a graphics file that was linked to the document was corrupt. Whenever I tried to access the page that the graphic was on, the program crashed. Because Ami Pro files are essentially ASCII text files, all that I had to do was open the Ami Pro file in a text editor and change the link to a known-good graphic file. After that, I opened the file in Ami Pro and fixed the problem.

I still use Ami Pro for my own personal work. I would use it for many other things as well if my clients didn't require Word files. And yes, I have configured Ami Pro to always create a backup when I open or save a file, but I do that with every program that I use. With Ami Pro, I've never needed to use a backup except to revert to one because I made a mistake.

Robert E. Simanski, Owner, Business Pro Services
Publications * Web sites * Proposals * Computer Support
751 South Sugarland Run Drive, Sterling, VA 20164-1328
Voice: 703-404-8665 Fax/Data: 703-404-8156
rsimanski -at- yourpubpro -dot- com * www.businessproservices.com

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com