RE: 10 things all tech writers should do - but different

Subject: RE: 10 things all tech writers should do - but different
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 16:21:53 -0800 (PST)

Sharon Burton-Hardin wrote:
> So I went to a local STC chapter website to look at the online
> resumes... I need people with B2B knowledge, unix/linux admin skills,
> stuff like that.

So you went to the STC website and were disappointed you didn't find
Unix admins? I'd say you were looking for love in all the wrong places
:-)

There are lots of websites for admins - how about your local Linux user
group? Or just a plain old posting on a local job board?

I'm an East Coaster but based on the national press, I thought you
can't throw a rock in Southern California without hitting an unemployed
sysadmin. Not that I'm advocating violence against sysadmins.

And what kind of technical skill is "B2B knowledge"? That smells like
marcomm to me. B2B usually implies vertical domain knowledge. Why not
look at resumes of people from the specific domain? There are whole
rafts of available people with B2B portal experience.

> almost NO ONE is telling me the technologies they know.
Yes they are: RoboHELP, Pagequarker, and ISO90210. Their resumes are
probably optimized to catch the eye of employers looking for pubs
skills, not admin skills.

Also, we are always telling jobseekers that networking is the best way
to get results, so maybe that's good advice for employers too. I'll bet
if you shake your personal network instead of browsing the STC website,
you will find the people you need.

Regards,
Mike O.

http://platinum.yahoo.com