RE: 10 things all tech writers should do - but different

Subject: RE: 10 things all tech writers should do - but different
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 19:50:41 -0800

Mike, I am looking for people with writing skills. I was looking
specifically for technical writers with specific domain knowledge. This
project would not have time for people to learn what web services are or how
to systems manage a Linux server. The people would need to be able to hit
the ground running with this knowledge in hand before they start.

My point is that I own a tech writing consulting company, may need to put
together a team with skills my team does not all have and, when looking at
brief write ups of the tech writers, didn't get anything about the domain of
knowledge people have. I saw a lot about tools people know, which is very
different. Very different.

In other words, Andrew is right on this one. He is always talking about
tools are not that relevant, knowledge is. I am facing a possible project
and his words are in my face. I need knowledge, not tech pubs tools skills.

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
CEO, Anthrobytes Consulting
909-369-8590