Re: About responsibility and fault

Subject: Re: About responsibility and fault
From: Jeff Hanvey <jewahe -at- lycos -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 19:05:23 -0400

I think I've been misunderstood to the point that people are now assuming that I'm arguing that no one should take responsibility.

That is not the case: I'm arguing exactly what you all are saying (as below)...However, the realism of the situation often doesn't warrant blame because there are a hundred thousand issues that are simply beyond our control.

Professionalism isn't just about accepting blame (although it does demand accepting responsibility for your actions and output), but also about reckoning limitations and recognizing how those limitations will affect your job. The point of moving on involves being aware and making others aware of those limitations (not by whining, just as fact), and thereby hope to fix them.

However, for those of us in the lower echelons of the corporate structure, we can only control what we can, and do the best job we can even with the limitations.

On Sun, 6 Apr 2003 18:19:15 -0400, Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com> wrote:

At 8:43 AM -0600 4/6/03, Eric J. Ray wrote:
In my opinion, a core tenet of professional behavior
is taking responsibility for one's own actions and
products. [lots of good stuff snipped for space]
Yes, there are environments with unrealistic deadlines,
political problems, and "challenges" in other respects Managing those issues are part and parcel of what a
professional technical writer does

<applause>
Thank you, Eric, for saying what I wanted to say---and saying it far better that I would have. I've been so angry at the attitudes expressed in some of the recent posts in this thread that I haven't been able to type a whole sentence in reply without spitting at the monitor and pounding on the keyboard

--
Jeff Hanvey
jewahe -at- lycos -dot- co -dot- uk

Purchase RoboHelp X3 in April and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/