RE: About responsibility and fault

Subject: RE: About responsibility and fault
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 10:07:46 -0400

>You don't manage professionals by ordering them around. Most
>professionals don't appreciate managers that meddle in their
>work and boss them around. They

You don't order them around, but you define the rules by which they do their
job.

Keep an up-to-date copy of source code in VSS
Submit a status report every Friday afternoon.
Not cannot write code in Clarion.
Be done with the coding by next Friday

See they get ordered around every day in many ways.

However, a professional technical writer shouldn't have to resort to this,
though sometimes it is necessary. I needed the CTO to express his belief
that documenting all of the processes was important to him (the CTO).
Nothing heavy handed, just let him know that the requirement was not an
insignificant issue. He also gave the developer the option of either working
with me or doing it on his own. He chose the former...it was easier.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com
NY: 212-414-6656
Dayton: 732-438-3372
Although she lives with seven other men, she's not easy.
------ Magic Mirror