[OT] Costs of running a mailing list?

From: MList -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 10:30:26 -0400

Does anybody have an idea (perhaps, from actually doing it...) of what
is involved in running a mailing list with a couple of thousand
subscribers and a couple of hundred messages per day, via commercial
infrastructure?

By that, I mean, if you don't have the support of (say) a university
or other institution, letting you use some of their bandwidth and
computing power, what are the real costs in terms of hardware and
software that you need, kind of connection that could be suitable,
etc.??

I assume that you need a computer with a big hard disk, a software
like listserv or majordomo or ezmlm, or whatever, and a constantly
connected pipe and a firewall. And, of course, you can never take
vacations once you start....

But, what are the ISP-related costs/problems/options?

I assume also that you need your own domain-name, as opposed to
just getting another e-mail address for your home account. What else?
How do you best insulate yourself/your list from your ISP, so that
they don't catch any flack if somebody takes exception to posts on
your list?

Is anybody here running their own blogs from home (versus using
a commercial hosting service)?

/kevin

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com