Re: New version of Acrobat

Subject: Re: New version of Acrobat
From: Mike Stockman <mstockman -at- mac -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 15:48:22 -0400

It's nice that Adobe is addressing the low-end, which will help avoid
those people showing up at your cube because you have the only licensed
copy of Acrobat in the company and they need a PDF file really, really
fast.

I recently handled that problem by giving my co-workers a set of
instructions for using some free utilities to create PDFs, so people
could finally stop bothering me. A really abbreviated summary:

1) Go to <http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/> and download GhostScript 8.00
and GSView 4.4. Install them for your platform.

2) Print to a file from your application through any PostScript printer
driver. Exactly how depends on which drivers you're using.

3) Open the printer file you created in GSView, and choose
File-->Convert. Select PDFWriter from the list, and click OK.

This creates a PDF file from any program that can print. Note that Mac OS
X users don't need to do this, because they can create a PDF from any
print dialog box.

The only thing you'll still need Acrobat for is to apply security
settings to your PDF file, which I've never found useful or necessary.
Some may, however.

Hope this helps,
Mike

On 04/07/2003 3:01 PM, Robert E. Simanski (rsimanski -at- yourpubpro -dot- com)
wrote:

>According to today's InfoWorld Scoop e-mail newsletter, Adobe has just
>released version six of Acrobat in three different flavors. InfoWorld is a
>highly reliable publication directed at Information Technology
>professionals. For the full story, visit the following page:
>
><http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/04/07/HNacrobatsix_1.html>

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com