RE: Slightly off-topic but, I hope, not unwelcome

Subject: RE: Slightly off-topic but, I hope, not unwelcome
From: Sean Brierley <seanb_us -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 09:58:29 -0700 (PDT)

Well, I have this friend who's an experienced tech
writer. Let's say, 10-years in.

And, they (gender neutral) had an opportunity at a new
gig to work with an editor--an experienced editor,
they were told, on a print document (no online help)
with really tight deadlines.

So, after the first draft was done, the editor
reviewed the document and had many corrections (not
suggestions, corrections). Some conflicted with the
style guide used by the organization (Chicago 14, I
believe), some were on the money, the editor made a
few mistakes, and some were personal stylistic issues.

Nevertheless, the writer made them.

Upon receiving the updated copy, the editor wrote an
e-mail to the writer and to the writer's boss and the
owner of the company (for it was privately held) and
cc'ing all of management, that the changes they had
requested had not been made and that the editor
couldn't trust the writer to incorporate the changes
and now a complete initial editing had to be re-done.

Wow. That's what I thought when I heard this.

However, the tech writer in question had
documentation, in the form of the mark-up, e-mails,
and absolutely all other correspondence on the issue,
in writing--so the writer went to their boss and said,
"this is silly." The writer's boss said it was not a
problem and the matter was dropped.

That's one experience a friend had with an editor. I
can actually vouch for it. I realize it's an extreme,
but I think it underlines some natural tension of
which we all should be aware. It's a team. It's the
employer's document. There's a deadline. Let's make it
so in a happy way.

I don't currently use an editor, in case you were
wondering.

Cheers,

Sean

--- John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com> wrote:

> Beth...I rarely get the use of an editor. However,
> if I used one, I know
> what would bug me, and it is the same problem as you
> describe:

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com