RE: Who cares about ethics?

Subject: RE: Who cares about ethics?
From: MList -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 15:00:13 -0400

Victoria Nuttle [mailto:vnuttle -at- cauto -dot- com]

> >>Is it now the role of the STC to determine ethics for "professional"
> technical communicators? If so, I must have missed the memo.

> STC must have missed it to. Even in their competitions they have no
> standard way of (or interest in) verifying anything about an
> entry. One
> reason I'm not very fond of the STC is that they showed a total
> inability to be able to handle possible ethics violations with
> competition entries. I find it hard to believe instances of people
> calling other people's work their own is infrequent in competition
> entries, and they have no standards or set of rules to deal with it.
> It's hard to swallow articles on "ethics" when they can't
> practice what
> they preach.

On the topic of your perceived ethics can hurt you AND crime does pay:

Local hospitals raise funds via lotteries for all sorts of fab
prizes, including homes and fancy cars, etc. A couple of years
ago, the premiere hospital lottery had a little scandal. Seems
that the winning ticket had not actually been paid for. The
guy had bounced the $100 cheque.

When he offered to make it up with a re-issue cheque or cash, the
lottery managers accepted that, and gave him a half-million dollar
home, completely furnished by expert decorators, a car, trip, etc.

Crime paid for the guy who won.

The following year, that hospital AND the other hospitals had much
lower takes from their lotteries. None of them got my money. Many
other people also had a bad taste in their mouths and held onto
their chequebooks.

If that guy showed up at my company looking for work, I wouldn't
hire him, and I'd pass the word to other companies (not saying
"Don't hire him", just identifying his history and saying 'Now you
know. Make your own choice'.")

/kevin (in Ottawa, Canada, and it was the CHEO hospital, otherwise
well-respected)

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com