Re: local style sheet override for printing web page?

Subject: Re: local style sheet override for printing web page?
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 20:48:16 -0400

From: "guy" <guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Sent: April 11, 2003 06:32 PM

> When I find a web page I'd like to print out for offline perusal (often
> in places where it is less than convenient to take along a laptop), I
> find that the typical three-column layout of pages styled by CSS leads
> to paper-wasting printouts. Take, for example,
>
> http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2003/04/09/SemanticMarkup
>
> That has a lovely layout, but would take 6 pages to print, because of
> the arrangement that limits long-flow content to the middle 3/5 of the
> page. IF the CSS let the main text flow wider after the left and right
> insets, that would not be TOO bad.
>
> But isn't there a way (preferably in Mozilla) for the local browser to
> specify a CSS for print media that overrides the CSS specified by the
> author?

Style sheets specify tags that appear in the HTML. You'd have to recreate a
style sheet whose names perfectly match the existing elements and classes that
are defined in the CSS and used in the HTML.

A better choice would be to open the Web page in an HTML editor and print the
preview page that shows the page as if it were in your browser.

It was a simple matter to open that page you posted in Namo WebEditor and view
and print it without connection to the style sheet. I suppose you could do the
same.

Bonnie Granat
Granat Editorial Services
http://www.editors-writers.info