Another dilemma for TWs - writing requirements

Subject: Another dilemma for TWs - writing requirements
From: "Karen E. Black" <kblack_text -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 00:08:04 -0400

I attended a sort of kick-off meeting on Friday (the person who called the meeting couldn't attend), and the 3 of us attending decided that, in order to properly analyse and document both the problem (a defective reports interface) and the solution (business requirements and a technical design doc, along with enhancements to the app) required a full software development lifecycle solution (meaning assigning a project manager/business analyst to investigate and recommend functional changes). This also means a proposal and subsequent approval, project plan and charter, functional & technical design docs, a dedicated developer, testing, and a planned implementation, support, and monitoring.

But, no, we get one dedicated developer, one SME (not a developer but a sort of sys admin/superuser for the product), and _me_ to document it all. Then we implement it on some un-busy weekend during routine maintenance.

Curiously, another, similar project I've participated in recently (another reports interface) has undergone the SDLC and will be implemented soon. When I asked the "project manager" why we don't get the full she-bang, I was told there's not enough time, personnel, or money to do it.

I've audited a lot of requirements and designs, and I've got lots of literature, but now I have to walk the walk. I have a chance to really shine here, but my heart's in my throat. My role, besides TW-ing, will be that of a business analyst (which I don't want to be) and possibly interface designer. I've got good relationships with all concerned. My boss doesn't know the scope of this yet, and we've got nothing in writing.

O wise ones, how and where do I start?

Purchase RoboHelp X3 in April and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com