RE: Visual SourceSafe/other doc control apps

Subject: RE: Visual SourceSafe/other doc control apps
From: "Karen E. Black" <kblack_text -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 19:08:37 -0400

Kane, Beth wants to know about Visual SourceSafe/other doc control apps.

Have any of you used MS Visual SourceSafe for document version control? Do you recommend it? Any problems?

"Bulloch, Scott" <scott -dot- bulloch -at- sap -dot- com> says:
We used to use it here for Word and Framemaker files. It is a workable solution, but slower than molasses in January...

But when February 1 hits, watch it go!! ;->

I've used it in the past (2000) -- it got major workouts, a lot of users, many folders and sub-sub-sub-sub folders, and there were occasional problems with some archiving function or other (documents were checked out and edited, but the changes weren't saved when checked back in). I don't recall exactly, and it didn't happen to me.

Is fearr socrú dá dhonacht ná dlí dá fheabhas.
It's better to solve the problem than to improve the law.

Purchase RoboHelp X3 in April and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Order here:

Check out the contests at

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com