RE: Visual SourceSafe/other doc control apps

Subject: RE: Visual SourceSafe/other doc control apps
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 21:06:36 -0700

Yabbut, that's the way binaries are stored in all version control
systems; otherwise it would take three weeks to check in a doc. Only
text files are delta'd, and then only simple text files, not stuff
like .rtf, which might as well be binary. Version and access control
systems are not about saving disk space; disk space is cheap. They're
about safeguarding data and providing easy access to information and
facilitating team development and they're wonderful. But if you're
likely to skimp on disk space, forget it.

I personally have a 20G backup disk and a version control
system installed on my personal machine. Once you've worked
with such systems for any length of time, you learn to rely
on them. I'd find it hard to work without one.

I've used VSS and I've used CVS and I've documented and used StarTeam.
They all have good and bad points, but they all work just fine. And
Documentum is an excellent system and enormously expensive and serious
overkill for most situations.

My two cents. YMMV
-Sue Gallagher

::: Have any of you used MS Visual SourceSafe for document
::: version control? Do
::: you recommend it? Any problems?

Yes. No. Yes. (In that order.)

VSS does not work well with binaries. The system "works", but all it does is
store additional copies of the file you're checking back in. So, if you have
a 5MB file you edit and check in 5 times, you have now chewed up 25MB of
space to store the revision history of that file.

Purchase RoboHelp X3 in April and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com