Re: Starting a home tech writing business in PA

Subject: Re: Starting a home tech writing business in PA
From: Marj Tiefert <matiefert -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 13:44:19 -0700

Hi Craig,

>Is there a simple, inexpensive way of registering a home business in
>Pennsylvania when all you have is a name and a Website (no clients yet)?

This depends on where you live. Your city and/or county has that information.

>Someone suggested I declare some purchases as expenses toward starting a
>home business. That's why I'm asking.

If I understood correctly when I filed my taxes for last year, physical
items purchased before you are officially in business are depreciated
differently than if they are purchased after you're in business. It appears
to be better to 'put them in service' in your new business after you've
started the business, which (apparently) doesn't mean that you cannot buy
them for personal use before starting the business. But the rules were
pretty complicated.

>I don't need to incorporate (or do I?) since I have no clients and,
>therefore, no money is coming in.

If you're just you and your business name is your name, you don't need to
incorporate. There may or may not be tax advantages to incorporating, however.

No wonder accountants and lawyers exist! :-)

cheers,

Marj

* * *
Marj Tiefert: http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert/