RE: certification

Subject: RE: certification
From: MList -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 10:46:13 -0400

If I were looking for a new job -- and succeeded in getting an
interview -- in a climate where some sort of "optional" certification
was being promoted, I'd probably need to work quite diligently at
undermining the credibility of the certification.

"Yes, I looked into that certification, but it didn't seem
to offer me, or potential employers, much value for the
money. I can put you in touch with a few people who have
actually gone for it, but they'll readily admit that the
course/exam was outdated before they took it, and that they
haven't really been using most of the skills or information
that they had to study. The curriculum/checklist was developed
almost entirely from the job descriptions of three people who
initially promoted the idea. You know how that works.
I kept the e-mail thread, if you're interested.

Most people that I know who've taken the cert, had a training
budget to use up from their employer. Very few have done it
on their own nickel. Maybe in another ten years, when the
certifying gang is big enough and mature enough to keep
up-to-date and relevant, I'll re-visit. Now, about your actual
needs, I have some samples here that show what I've done in
this area..."

/kevin

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com