Re: Reader responsibility

Subject: Re: Reader responsibility
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 10:10:25 -0700

MList -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com wrote:

What *should* formal audience analysis look like? It's been so long since I've seen a focus group or press-ganged some "users", that I can't really remember (that would be at Philips in Montreal in the late 1980s). Darn, I'm old! Candidate for accreditation grandfathering? :-)

Personally, I've never been that big on formal audience analysis. I prefer being thorough about what can be done with the subject I'm documenting, down to the unlikely possibilities.

I also rely on what might be called audience empathy. However, that sounds like too exalted a name for simply imagining what people might do faced with a given situation.

"I have never yet known a man admit that he was either rich or asleep: perhaps the poor and the wakeful man have some great moral advantage."
- Patrick O'Brian, "Master and Commander"

Purchase RoboHelp X3 in April and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Order here:

Check out the contests at

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com

RE: Reader responsibility: From: MList