RE: Certification is absurd

Subject: RE: Certification is absurd
From: "Dan Glovier" <dglovier -at- edline -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 15:38:51 -0500

A bit busy at this moment, so here's a quick something on my take on
this. I know you've all been waiting. :)

I am not a fan of certification for several reasons, and they've been
outlined here in great detail by others on our fine list (the
certification body, what they'll certify, what this certification means,
etc.).

Some other things that are on my list of nasties:

This certification will create a cottage industry based on helping
writers pass the test(s), not become better tech writers. Ergo, we have
better test takers, not better writers. Our profession takes another hit
when these test takers don't cut it at the new job.

Whatever "body" hands out this certification will have an updated
certification test every year or so ... you have to stay relevant or
else you'll disappear. So that's another test we'll have to take, once
again promoting test taking over writing.

Employers will start hiring certified folks under the false belief that
they're getting better writers; they can use the certification process
as pre-screening.

Here's the sad thing ... if the STC was better at its job, membership in
it could be a form of low-level certification.

Back to doing way too much in too little time,
Dan Glovier

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com