RE: Certification is absurd

Subject: RE: Certification is absurd
From: "Jim Shaeffer" <jims -at- spsi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 17:01:59 -0400

Here are two paragraphs I have snipped From a real-world report on one
person's experiences with the Project Management Professional (PMP)
certification.

>>>Snips:
I've now had the PMP behind my name for six years. Has it made an
appreciable difference in how I manage projects or significantly
improved my ability to deliver on time, on budget, or to specification?
No. Has it increased my marketability? Have I gained work as a result
of having my PMP? Yes. And here lies my primary issue-there is a great
gulf between the perception of the PMP and the reality of what it
actually
does.

The reality is that the PMP demonstrates three things: that you have had

35 hours of classroom training, have a minimum amount of experience in
project management-related work, and have passed an examination based on

the PMBoK. The PMP is only an assessment of knowledge, however-and a
very
narrowly defined body of knowledge at that. The exam tests you on PMI's
terminology, processes, and process boundaries. What the PMP does not
demonstrate is our competency as project managers or our skills in
applying our competencies in real-world situations.
>>>End Snips

The full article may be found at the link below (registration may be
required).

The PMP: How much value does it really offer
http://builder.com.com/article_guest.jhtml?id=u00420030328gan01.htm&page
=1

The link also leads to other resources regarding this certification
program.

Jim Shaeffer (jims -at- spsi -dot- com)

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com