Subject: RE: On PDFs
From: Watson Laughton <WLaughton -at- orphan -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 11:57:37 -0500

>>I've heard several people say that PDFs are not fully searchable. In my
experience, they _always_ are.

Eh? Try searching 303 pages of
totally unsearchable text, as far as I can tell. Or the user manual for the
Palm Tungsten T PDA. Or, worst of all, the Cannondale Bicycle Users' Manual
( Nothing like
spending $2000 on a bike and getting a linke to an unsearchable,
un-hyperlinked online document, instead of a manual that comes with the

My experience has been just the opposite. SOMETIMES they are searchable,
frustratingly oftentimes, NOT. And either way, they take a dog's age to
load. If I hadn't been able to d/l' the bike manual on a broadband
connection, I wouldn't have even bothered.

Last chance to order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
PLUS free RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Offer expires
4/30/03! Order here:

Check out the contests at

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com