Re: Permatemping

Subject: Re: Permatemping
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 23:03:36 -0700 (PDT)

"Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote in message news:195237 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> MS was playing fast and loose with the IRS/SEC regs, and they got
> caught. Afterward the rest of the industry was very careful to play by
> the rules, which benefited everybody by creating a more honest playing
> field (same rules for everybody = 'free market').

That is not a free market. Free means no rules. What you describe is a
controlled market. And if you think the rules apply equally to everybody then I
have a warp 5 ship to sell you.

Basically, markets tend toward commoditization. What is true in chips, cars,
and cat boxes is true in labor. Work become commoditized. And when it does, the
skill level and sophistication of the individuals goes down. So, what worked
great for skilled professionals, happy to make good $$$$, did not fit the
"clock-punching, won't work a second after 5pm" types of employees.

> And last time I checked, Microsoft was still doing OK.

But for every Microsoft doing OK, there are 20,000 small businesses being
crushed by regulations and rules that make it impossible for them to remain
competitive. Not every business has 90 billion in assets to dip into. Many
companies live on paper thin margins. Many of those rules hurt a lot of small
businesses. Fine for the clock-punching gang, not so great if your work for or
own one of those small businesses.

Andrew Plato

http://search.yahoo.com

Last chance to order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
PLUS free RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Offer expires
4/30/03! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com