Attention job seekers--so you sent a resume and nobody acknowledged it, right?

Subject: Attention job seekers--so you sent a resume and nobody acknowledged it, right?
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 19:15:01 -0400

Folks,

One of the hats I wear is webmaster. When we have an opening, I post the position on our Web site, and my nifty little script puts in an "apply for this position" link that opens a blank email message for the person to send to a mailbox called careers -at- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot-
Simple enough, right? But on the mail server side, any incoming mail that goes to the careers mailbox has to get forwarded to a real person to read. Only the thing is, the person the mail used to go to is no longer with the company.

Well, it just occurred to me--today, several months after she left--to mention this to our system administrator. So I now have a mailbox full of résumés that have come in over the last months that were never, repeat _never_ acknowledged by anyone. We might even have hired some of these folks had I remembered to fix the mailbox when the person left the company.

Okay, this was really dumb on my part, and I'll send out polite apologies to all those folks. But my point is this: periodically people post a question about when to follow up after emailing a résumé, and people respond with various suggestions. But something to keep in mind is that glitches happen, and it is entirely possible the résumé never got to a human being. So, yes, it is worth a follow-up phone call.

Dick

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

Last chance to order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, PLUS free RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Offer expires 4/30/03! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l