Re: Word Meta Data And PDF Question

Subject: Re: Word Meta Data And PDF Question
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 22:45:57 -0400

David,

Your experiment doesn't exactly answered the question John asked. Those are the only fields visible in the default PDF properties dialog, but it is possible that some other fields are concealed internally under some circumstances. I suggested off-list that John check at comp.text.pdf for an authoritative answer.

Acrobat 5 (and presumably this continues with Acrobat 6) offers the option of retaining quite a bit of Word doc information for the purpose of round-tripping the content. I don't know for sure whether custom properties are among the things retained, but it is certainly a possibility; and if John has concerns involving security or confidentiality, it is worth his while to pursue the question further.

Dick

dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com wrote:

John Fleming wrote:

How much, if any, of Word's meta data gets transfered to the
PDF version of a Word file when the PDF file is created?

Anybody here...know where I could find it?

Well, I just populated every single editable field in Word's Properties dialog box, set the Convert Doc Info option in PDFMaker, and checked the properties of the resulting output PDF.

The only ones that showed up were Title, Subject, Author, and Keywords. None of the zillion optional properties came through.

--David

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

Last chance to order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, PLUS free RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Offer expires 4/30/03! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l