RE: Exploitation is a two-way street (was a bunch of other thread s)

Subject: RE: Exploitation is a two-way street (was a bunch of other thread s)
From: "Gillespie, Stephen (Contractor)" <Stephen -dot- Gillespie -at- Persnet -dot- Navy -dot- Mil>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 10:59:29 -0400

Victoria Nuttle responds to John Posada's post on the thread about a 40-hour
work week:

>And in all honesty, at my current job, they really tend to take advantage
of people with work hours. Every Friday, never fail, the developers get
advised of some problem at about 4pm. Most of the time they end up staying
late, sometimes they even have to come in on the
weekends.<

There you are, John (et al.) - exploitation at work. Of course,as
professionals even we 'tech writers' will go the extra mile, so to speak, to
meet a deadline.

>And because my company has a "40 hours minimum per week" policy, these poor
guys can't even take off an hour early one day the next week after all the
extra time they put it.<

My company also had a 40-hour minimum requirement, but being a 'contracted
(out)' to our client, if we work beyond 40, it must be be prior-approved
(for billing), or 'pro bono', in which case there is a 'comp time' allowance
(1:1).

To which John then replied today:

>Not would. Do. I've worked with them. Usually there is one in any
multiwriter group. My experience is that for every 5 writers in a group,
you're going to have 1 that does anything any way whenever asked, 3 that are
good solid writers that will put-out for unusual circumstances but try to
keep to 40 hours, and 1 that I described below.<

Well, John, there's always that 'one' (bad apple) ... I cannot imagine,
though, that if asked to work an extra hour or two to help the team make a
deadline, and the person refused, that the peer pressure would soon take a
toll - not to mention the hit on his performance review for 'teamwork',
don't you agree?

Steve Gillespie

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com