RE: Exploitation is a two-way street (was a bunch of other thread s)

Subject: RE: Exploitation is a two-way street (was a bunch of other thread s)
From: France Baril <Barilf -at- ixiasoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 11:16:08 -0400

Personnally, I believe it's a question of balance. I stay whenever I can.
When I see a deadline approaching, I try not to make plans at night that I
cannot cancel at the last minute. I am flexible and do not feel exploited as
the company I work for is also flexible when something comes up for me.

However, I have worked for a company that always made it impossible to meet
commitments to clients in terms of delivery dates, who would not give you a
day or two to rest after you worked 7 days a week, 3 weeks in a row, during
the Christmas holidays. Moreover, the paycheck was way below average and I
was not learning that much anymore. After a year, I was close to a burn out,
I started arriving at 8 am and leaving at 5 pm. After hitting a wall, when I
brought the problem over to my boss, I decided not to give them anymore free
time and started looking, for a new job. I was fired before I could find
something else, but it was for the best.

So I would say compare what you give to what you receive. Are you working
extra hours every week, every month or occasionnally? Is your employer
flexible too? Is your health compromised? Can you solve the problem by
asking for extra time during the planning phase of projects?

Good luck,

France

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com