RE: Orphan headers

Subject: RE: Orphan headers
From: "Gillespie, Stephen (Contractor)" <Stephen -dot- Gillespie -at- Persnet -dot- Navy -dot- Mil>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 08:13:10 -0500

<Rose Wilcox explains about 'orphan headers' (a misnomer) and outlining>

I wouldn't call them orphan headers, because, to me, an orphan header is one
that appears on the bottom of the page with its associated text appearing on
the next phase.

The original reason for the rule has to do with the logic of outlining. If
you are outlining a topic and there is only one cut (subtopic) under it, you
usually cover that information in the topic itself, rather than the
subtopic. It indicates a logic flaw in the outline.

Sometimes rigid templates, such as Requirements or Design templates force a
break in the rule. However, for general audiences, I have found that
outlining to such basic rules works. BTW, I learned outlining in grade
school. I wonder if it is still being taught?

Rose, yes, I remember outlining in school, too - we always wrote the paper
and then wrote the outline to fit the paper (and that's what I taught all my
community college students for years! ;-)

Steve Gillespie

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com