RE: RE: RE: Exploitation is a two-way street (was a bunch of othe r thread s)

Subject: RE: RE: RE: Exploitation is a two-way street (was a bunch of othe r thread s)
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 09:31:35 -0400

And I'll bet that another part you hate is that as a manager, you are held
to certain expectations by your management, each year those expectations
become more intense, and to meet those expectations, you require certain
concessions from your employees. When you don't get them, not only are you
judged as being a lesser result-attainer, but the whole department is
penalized with less favorable budget determinations, greater scrutiny, less
autonomy, and lower pecking order status.

There are things that I don't like doing, but I do them because I know that
the requirement is not coming from my boss, but from his boss. He doesn't
like that he makes me do it, he knows why I'm doing it and he knows that I
know why I'm doing it.

And yes, sometimes I "cash in" on that knowledge with favorable treatment.
An example being that I'm being given serious consideration for the approval
to purchase a software application that will probably cost the company close
to 4 grand, just on my saying I need it.