RE: RE: Exploitation is a two-way street (was a bunch of other th read s)

Subject: RE: RE: Exploitation is a two-way street (was a bunch of other th read s)
From: "Bill Burns" <bburns -at- qds-solutions -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 08:26:34 -0600

>>It's when eval, incentive and promotion times
>>roll around and they find they get nothing extra for doing
>>nothing extra that their chickens come home to roost (not
>>to mention when it inevitably comes time to rank your people
>>and pick the ones at the bottom of the list for layoffs).

>That IS a ding. The person was singled out to receive less than someone else
>because of something they did or did not do. I can make that definition
>because I was the one who introduced the term into the thread. :-)

I see a ding as punishment. Not getting a reward is not the same as punishment, and it's perfectly reasonable to expect that people who don't show a propensity for growth or who don't take on more responsibility don't get promoted. Someone isn't necessarily singled out not to be promoted. In fact,
starting with the entire pool and eliminating people who aren't candidates would be an inefficient way to go about giving promotions. It would make more sense to consider those who have set themselves apart. Someone who fulfills the minimum job requirements would hardly fall into that category. That's not punishment. That's simply not getting a reward.

I would suggest that continuous employment is in itself a reward. Keep pressing the button, and you keep getting the pellets. :-)

Bill Burns
Documentation Supervisor/MS Help MVP
Quality Design Systems
bburns -at- qds-solutions -dot- com