RE: RE: Exploitation is a two-way street (was a bunch of other threads)

Subject: RE: RE: Exploitation is a two-way street (was a bunch of other threads)
From: "Bill Burns" <bburns -at- qds-solutions -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 14:11:07 -0600

>The more usual thing that happens is that the manager gets
>the word from above, "I don't care how good you say your
>people are, you've got 10 heads, cut 2 of them, if you
>don't pick them we will." At that point, you look at your
>people from the perspective of who are the ones you can
>least afford to lose.

Been there, done that, had the flashbacks.

Even when you can't afford to lose any of them, you often don't have any other choice (or you have nothing but bad choices). But when you accept a management position, you accept the responsibility of making those kinds of decisions. If you aren't willing to do that, you have no business accepting the position.

That's not to say that a manager shouldn't advocate strongly for employees. And occasionally, as a manager, you have to decide whether continuing to enact an employer's decisions is an ethical proposition.

Bill Burns
Documentation Supervisor/MS Help MVP
Quality Design Systems
bburns -at- qds-solutions -dot- com