RE: Figures and Tables

Subject: RE: Figures and Tables
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 10:31:53 -0400

As I said earlier in the thread, IT DEPENDS. Robert's approach certainly sounds effective and attractive for some types of work--maybe for all documents he is involved with, maybe for all documents you are involved with.

In other contexts, maintaining separate number streams is expected and doing otherwise will bring your readers up short.

There is no single solution for everything (cracks about water being the universal solvent will not be found amusing).

Know thy audience ;-)

Dick

"Robert Plamondon" <robert -at- plamondon -dot- com> wrote:

>I call both figures and tables "figures," partly because I've noticed that
>many readers (including myself) are blind the to the word "figure" and
>"table" when hunting up a cross-reference, and look only for the number.

[snip interesting design approach]

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com