RE: MS Word Styles

Subject: RE: MS Word Styles
From: Lyn Worthen <Lyn -dot- Worthen -at- caselle -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 12:36:58 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Eisbruchs -at- aol -dot- com
Sent: Friday, May 02, 2003 12:10 PM

> ...<snip>...
>
> Any other helpful hints on trying to get the styles
> organized and working correctly for now and for the
> future?

I recently -got- to sort through a 400+ page document that had been pieced
together (like patchwork) from multiple documents, written by multiple
authors. Some had used the same styles (but defined with slight
differences), others had used various user-defined styles (such as "Note" in
one section being the same as "Notes" in another).

Rather than go completely nuts, I got creative. I saved the document under
a different name, selected some text correctly formatted as "Heading 1,"
changed its color to green, and updated the style. I could then see where
that style had been correctly applied at a glance through the document.
"Heading 2" became blue. "Body Text" was also blue. "Notes" were red.
etc.

When I was finished modifying the formatting this way, it was very simple to
do a visual scan of the document for black text and apply the correct style
to those areas. (I have a 19" monitor, set to 1200x1600 res., so have lots
of screen real estate available to easily view thumbnails of the document at
25%).

Un-coloring the document, and re-saving it as a complete, correctly
formatted file, was easy at that point.

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com